The Belgrave South Baptist Church (BSBC), is committed to the protection of your personal information. From 12 March 2014 the Privacy Act includes 13 Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) that outline how APP entities (i.e. The BSBC) must handle, use and manage personal information.
Personal information is information or an opinion that identifies or could reasonably identify an individual. Some examples include name, address, telephone number, date of birth, gender, medical records, bank account details, and commentary or opinion about a person.
As a general rule, the BSBC will:
- Not collect personal information unless it is necessary for its activities;
- Only collect personal information lawfully and fairly;
- Not use or disclose personal information about an individual for a purpose other than for which it was collected unless such use or disclosure would be reasonably expected or has been expressly authorised by the individual concerned;
- Take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information it holds is accurate, complete and up-to-date;
- Take reasonable steps to protect personal information from misuse or loss;
- Where necessary, take reasonable steps to let a person know what sort of personal information it holds;
- Where necessary and requested by the individual concerned, provide the individual with access to personal information held in relation to that individual;
- Not collect sensitive information without the consent of the individual concerned.
Types of information collected and disseminated
The BSBC will store on its databases the name, address, contact details and any other information of persons involved with the BSBC, be it as an Employee, Leader, Volunteer or Member or Attendee of the church, where it is deemed necessary.
The types of personally identifiable and/or sensitive information we could collect from you or from others about you may include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Your full name, gender and contact details (address, telephone numbers, email, etc)
- Working with children check number & expiry date
- National police record number and date
- Complaint details
- Professional and practice information including qualifications and work history
- Health/medical information
- Religious information (including attendance, denominational details)
- Identity of persons who have authority to collect your children from church activities
- Records of visits to you, phone calls with you, and discussions around pastoral matters
- Records of any communications that you have with us
- Any idiosyncratic or personal information we obtain from you or others about you
Use of personal information
Where possible, the BSBC will only disclose the information collected where it has obtained the written consent of the individual concerned.
The BSBC will only send you mail or emails if you have elected to receive them or if they are in response to a communication received from you.
The BSBC will use return email addresses to answer the email we receive. Such addresses are not used for any other purpose except to provide you with information we feel would be of interest to you and are not shared with other parties.
Our commitment to data security
To prevent unauthorised access, maintain data accuracy, and ensure the correct use of information, we have put in place appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
Disclosure without prior authorisation
In certain circumstances the BSBC may be authorised by law to disclose your personal information even where written consent has not been provided:
- Where there are grounds to believe that disclosure is required in order to prevent a threat to health or life;
- Where the BSBC suspects that unlawful activity is or has been engaged in, such personal information may be used to investigate the suspected lawful activity; or
- The use is authorised by law or reasonably necessary to enforce the law.
Third party websites:
Our website may contain links to third party websites, and third party websites may also have links to our website.
The operators of other websites may collect your personal information. We encourage you to read the privacy policies of any website you link to from our website.
Maintaining the Quality of your Personal Information
It is an important to us that your Personal Information is up to date. We will take reasonable steps to make sure that your Personal Information is accurate, complete and up-to-date. If you find that the information we have is not up to date or is inaccurate, please advise us as soon as practicable so we can update our records and ensure we can continue to provide quality services to you.
Privacy notice revision
To contact the Belgrave South Baptist Church (BSBC)
At any time, you may notify the BSBC should your contact details change or if you do not wish to receive marketing materials or any other communications from the BSBC, by either telephoning (03) 9754 8211 or writing to:
Belgrave South Baptist Church
169 Belgrave-Hallam Road
Belgrave South, Vic 3160